I took Adrian to the food therapy clinic at Presbyterian hospital today. I'm always nervous when I go to things like these, especially without my husband. I'm always afraid that people are going to talk down to me because of my son's "super powers" (what my husband likes to call it). I know, it's a stupid fear. Anyway, these two ladies were very nice and made me feel comfortable instantly. Adrian didn't do very well at first. He started screaming and tried to throw his lunch off the table. So, one of the ladies walked out of the room, and he seemed to calm down enough to eat his sweet potatoes. They basically observed and asked me questions. They brought out some new food items for him to eat, and he fed the therapist once, and then proceeded to throw the food :P His new thing is to throw everything he doesn't like. They tried to get him to play with apple sauce, and that didn't go over well. He started screaming again. Then, one of the nice ladies pulled out some matchbox cars! He was happy after that! They gave me suggestions on how to get him to a point to where he isn't refusing everything but his Gerber 3rd foods. Yes, my son is almost 3 and the only thing he can and will eat is Gerber 3rd foods. I can't tell you how many times people have given me comments or "advice" about my almost 3 year old son eating baby food. So we will slowly get past this point. I will slowly put freshly pureed foods into his usual food. Yes, I've tried to get him to eat different foods before, but it doesn't work so well, hence the food therapy! They told me to call them back when we are ready to go back again. Coming from the farthest north corner of Rio Rancho, and driving all the way to downtown Albuquerque is stressful on Adrian. They understand that, so they are letting me set the schedule! Maybe here in a couple of months I will make progress with Adrian! It is just going to take time and patience!
Also, UNM is going to be sending a family service to our house for 12 weeks. The case worker will come and help us learn how to work with our son in a way that will help him advance, and help us cope better with his "super powers." First appointment is Monday. I just hope I'm done with my eye appointment by then!
Adrian is also going to the doctor tomorrow to see if he may have asthma. I finally got through on the phone! It seems like sometimes it would be easier to drive there and schedule an appointment! Crazy busy is only going to get more crazy busy when he starts preschool in August! I can't wait to see the progress he will make there!
Adrian has also started consistently pointing at balloons he sees in his books! I ask him where the balloon is, and he points to it!! This is a big deal! I know it isn't a conditioned response because I bought him a new book with balloons in it, and when I asked, he pointed! So proud of my little man!
Congrats! I bet you're going to start to see some more improvements with the different therapies.
ReplyDeleteThat great that someone is coming to your house to help with food! And, for 12 weeks, wow!
ReplyDeleteLet us know how the asthma appt. goes.
The balloon this is great-- Huge accomplishment!
The food therapy is only at the hospital. A seperate service is being provided to us to help us learn to live better with autism. Sorry you got confused! I'd be so happy if someone could come to my house to help me with the food issues, but unfortunately they are only a 40 minute drive away!!
ReplyDeleteAs for the asthma, the doctor said it is probably residual inflamation from the croup. He did give me an inhaler with a mask so Adrian can get more medicine. If it doesn't get better or gets worse, I'll be right back to his office!