Adrian
Friday, December 24, 2010
Changes
I have seen so many positive changes in Adrian since he has started school. He is much more tolerant of other children being around him, even next to him! There are less meltdowns, and more hugs and waves! Every time I pick him up from school he gives me the biggest smile and the best hugs! I love it! My son is just, awesome. I don't even know how to describe him. Everyone he meets just love him! He always seems to leave an impression on people, especially strangers! If there is a certain place we go to regularly, they get to know our son. They will ask us where he is if he isn't with us! He is going to do something big someday. I don't know what, but it's something, and it's going to leave a mark. He is just love bundled up in a little person! The ugly human emotions you see in us adults, never come out in him. He genuinely loves. There are no strings attached. There is no judgement in his eyes. I'm tired of people thinking that an autism diagnosis is a death sentence. I've even heard someone say they would rather vaccinate their child and let them get autism than have them die from a disease that vaccine would have prevented. Seriously? Autism is to be compared to Polio, Measles, Hepatitis? If you had to choose between the two evils, autism or HPV, which fate would you bestow upon your child? There is nothing wrong with my son. His brain is wired differently than mine, so how does that make him doomed? It doesn't. There is nothing to be sorry for if I so happen to tell you my son has autism. By the way, the majority of these strangers who recognize us and ask us about our son have no idea he has autism. We don't go around telling anyone with the ability to hear that he has autism. They think he is the sweetest boy in the world. There is nothing to be sorry for, there is absolutely nothing to apologize for! The descriptions of autism you read online don't fit every single person with autism. Most people think that people with autism just sit in a corner rocking back and forth and NEVER look you in the eye, or smile, or laugh. Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia. All children with autism are different. Get to know the person, not the label. Yeah, my son is kind of a big deal, because there is something great he will do, he will show everyone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi -My name is Ashley and I found your blog through Cheryl's Little Bit Quirky blog. My husband Ryan is working on his PhD in Clinical Psychology and for his final project he is researching ASD in children. If you would be willing, could you fill out a really quick survey to help in this research? The survey can be found at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ASDStudy Contact me with any questions you have. Thank you for your consideration and help with this research. Hope your week is going good :)
ReplyDeleteAshley
(PS - sorry for posting as a comment on your blog, I wasn't able to find an email address.)