Adrian

Adrian

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

IEP

I finally have the first IEP scheduled. There is one thing about autism that no one ever tells you about, and that no one ever really thinks about... waiting. You wait for everything. Therapy services??? That will be a 6-12 week wait for a phone call. After that phone call, it will be another couple of weeks for another phone call. You must wait for referrals to go through, paperwork to get pushed, buttons with numbers to be dialed. It always makes me feel like I'm sitting still. You read about all these therapies and how they're helping other children, but you have to wait to even get to the point of being able to get your child to the point of benefiting from these new therapies. There is a process with this. You cannot just go from one thing to another thing without losing your mind. While research is great, and reading it even better, if you aren't careful you will end up getting ahead of yourself, and becoming so overwhelmed that you can't see straight... and have a migraine that lasts a week. Every time you think about it your head will start pounding and you'll start to get blurred vision. We're going through the process, it just takes time. I try to keep from getting to that point. I know I probably seem distant and ungrateful, but I'm just trying to process and catalog information. I will use what I need for now, and store what I need for later. It's a process. A work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment