Adrian
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Autism support group?
I went to my first autism support group tonight. It wasn't a group. There were four adults there, who looked old enough to be my parents. They were all talking about their teens with Aspergers. The host of the group didn't say a word to me, or introduce herself to me. She then showed a long video about children with Aspergers being bullied. While these things are very important, nothing was said about any other form of autism. After the video was over, she began talking to the other adults about their children. No one said one word to me. So, I left. I got this feeling like I either wasn't welcome there, or they thought I was some young stupid mom who is in way over her head... and not worth the time talking to. That was the first, and last time I'll EVER go there. It was stated that it was an autism support group, not an aspergers support group only. It only made me feel more alone and alienated from society. This is a perfect example of why I'd rather just stay home... I put myself out into the world and this happens.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No, you just went to the wrong group. Don't give up! I'm sure there are others out there. Ironically, I had the opposite experience. I went to a support group for moms of special needs kids. Everyone was warm and friendly. Everyone had a chance to share, and everyone had a kid with autism. I, however, was the only one with a child with Asperger's. Everyone else had kids with severe autism. Many were older kids--teenagers that couldn't do anything for themselves. I found everyone there to be lovely and inspirational, but I always left the group REALLY depressed. It just wasn't the right group for me! If you can't find the one that's right for you, start one of your own! You can meet at a Starbucks or something.
ReplyDeleteHang in there and don't give up!
I feel so bad for you! I live in a pretty rural area and absolutely love the 2 groups I go to!!! We have get-togethers at each other's houses for all our families. We have group therapy for the kids. We have speakers come in. It's wonderful! Please keep looking. You will find somewhere that you and your son belong and it will feel right!
ReplyDelete